Monday 1 October 2007

Living badly

I seem to go through periods of living badly - too much work and too much work related eating and drinking. The next week or two (in fact three if you count half term week which follows them) look like being more sensible. The latest bout of excess ended on Friday. It has involved some late nights in the office; some dashing around the country both north and south; a lot of lunch; and in one week dinners on consecutive mid-week nights. Its not exactly going down a mine or walking the streets of Bazra (and I am grateful for both) but it takes its toll in its own way. I always, at the end of a period like that, feel less like doing it ever again.

Friday night was however only work related in the vaguest sense. I am a member of a small dining club. It is connected with the WS Society of which I am a member. It exists (the club; not the Society) for the sole purpose of having an annual dinner in the Signet Library. The Library is a beautiful building with one of the most stunning Georgian interiors in Edinburgh (and hence Britain and the World). My wife and I had a joint fortieth birthday party there in January which was fantastic and it was a huge privilege to have so many of our friends together in such a superb setting. The club uses one of the Library's smaller rooms and Friday night was its 30th dinner. The room is beautiful, lit by candles only, with the Society's silver in use; our guest was a distinguished, interesting and controversial retired member of parliament - he spoke with conviction and stimulated conversation; the chairman (elected annually to chair the dinner) was one of the founder members and was able to produce the letter he and three colleagues wrote inviting the original members to join; the food was first class and the claret (which the club buys ahead using a wine levy on members) incomparable to what I usually drink. It was a great occasion and a suitable way to mark 30 years of the club. Saturday I was hungover again!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hungover, what does it matter! You had a great time and that's the main thing!!

Best wishes, Crystal xx

@themill said...

As good a reason as any I've heard for being a member of a club. Now, what chance Scotland on Sunday?

occasional northerner said...

I'm not very hopeful (although more hopeful that I would be against anyone else left in the draw)and am going to Kelso to the races so will be spared the nailbiting involved in these things. Will have fingers crossed for both Scotland and England.

Anonymous said...

Mousen Barns? Is it still for sale? Property is quite expensive round here at the moment. But do email me if you fancy a cuppa sometime. And you have 7 year old? Male or female - not that it matters of course!!!

Crystal xx

occasional northerner said...

Mousen Barns sold I think. Don't know what it went for. We offered quite a lot under the asking price and it did go to best and final offers so we were chancing our arm. Are still looking. Will email you. We are down for a whole week (but for a couple of days in London) over half term in a week or so's time. My seven year old is 8 next week and is a girl.

@themill said...

I'll be up at Merchiston on Saturday so will miss the England Australia match. Perhaps we should exchange duties?

occasional northerner said...

I drove past Merchiston this morning, delivering a visiting friend (who coincidentaly is a Merchistonian) to his uncle's. I watched it. It was a great effort. Fingers now crossed even more tightly for tomorrow.