Saturday 6 October 2007

Living better

I had a whole day in the fresh air yesterday. I don't fish many days a year, but on Friday spent a day on the Ettrick. Fishing conditions were not great with low water and bright sunshine, but the countryside looked fantastic in the warm autumn sunshine and, were it not for the fact that I am instilled with a sense of fishing duty ("You'll catch nothing without your fly I the water"), I would have been happy sleeping under a tree. I went with a friend and client, we took a lot of food (6 pies in 6 hours), a bottle of red and a few pounds for beer. We stopped at the pub for an hour in the afternoon (too bright to fish we told ourselves) and chatted idly with a fishing party from Yorkshire. Were it not for the fact that I seem to have bent the undercarriage of my car driving across a field (I should have known better fishing, like golf, being a walking, carrying game) it would have been a near perfect day.

Tomorrow I am going to Kelso Races, another favourite day out, again in the fresh air, although I fear in the rain. If I am feeling really determined to live better I will golf first - Goswick at 7.00, Parents for coffee, Kelso at 12.00. Its tight but do-able schedule.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a lovely time at the Races. A good friend of mine helps out there.

Sounds like an idyllic spot for fishing. When does the season finish? We're going to the River Tay in a couple of weeks but the farmer was told the fishing season would have finished by then so he wouldn't have been able to go out on the river - he was very disappointed.

Crystal xx

@themill said...

Just don't get trapped in the 19th hole.
Great results today... at Merchiston, in France and in Wales.

Fingers crossed for Scotland tomorrow

occasional northerner said...

Crystal - Tay season finishes on the 15th so just too late.

@TM - Have failed to live well enough to get to golf. What price a Calcutta Cup final! Played St Bees yet?

Anonymous said...

ON - Heard there was a problem at the races yesterday? What happened?

@themill said...

Don't play them anymore, apparently. Ampleforth on Saturday.
Scrappy game on Sunday and thought the Argentine looked decidedly wobbly. Perhaps they don't like going into matches as favourites. Anyway, hope this run kick starts a resurgence in Scottish rugby fortunes - except when they play England of course!