Wednesday 5 December 2007

Festive cheer

It is my office party on Friday night. I am not going. My non-attendance is not as a result of being a miserable old curmudgeon, although I am, but as a consequence of being invited in June when Christmas is completely beyond my contemplation. I would happily compromise on venue (indeed I would be happy to revert to the days when it was a drunken standing up affair in the office) not to have to think about it until at least October. It is now a casualty of two too full diaries.

This city (when it is not raining the way it is this evening) looks fantastic at this time of year. The lights in the trees in Princes Street Gardens are understated but beautiful. They somehow enhance, rather than overshadow, the slightly more garish lights of the big wheel and "Winter Wonderland". We wandered through the gardens on Sunday having been to the superb Joan Eardley exhibition at the RSA in busy crowds of people at the German (-ish) Market. It was dry and cold and the sun had set, leaving odd bits of light behind. It was soon enough to contemplate things festive.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hated office parties and never went to any. I really should visit Edinburgh.

Crystal xx

@themill said...

Tried to comment on this last week but blogger wouldn't accept it, but just wanted to say we had the carousel from the Winter Wonderland for the daughter's 21st. We felt it was her wedding, so to speak, and it was the most magical thing we've ever done. It will remain a most treasured memory for us all, but especially her.

occasional northerner said...

There is something about fair ground rides at parties. One of my abiding party memories (and given the level of consumption about my only one)was of the Waltzer at my best pal's passing out ball at Sandhurst.