Sunday 11 November 2007

Confused again

I have had a strange Sunday night. It is very unusual for us to go out on Sundays - sheer force of habit - we sharpen our pencils and polish our shoes for the week ahead in this house. Tonight we have been to two things. First we went to a book launch. It was very interesting. It was at Valvonna & Croalla, by any standards an institution; John Bellany illustrated the book (he is one of my favourite artists - I can't really afford his work, but have a watercolour and a screen print); he spoke (indeed read, but got away with it, because he is genuinely a great man); Philip Contini of V&C sang at 10 minutes notice, beautifully; someone read the poems - I'm sorry I can't remember her name - she read at another book launch we went to recently so its unforgivable that I can't remember who she is - my wife will know because her Granny revered Scottish actresses - I can only remember Elaine C Smith. It was a very Scottish evening in a literary and artistic kind of way.

Then we went to a party for the Muir Maxwell Trust which is a charity which raises funds to relieve suffering from childhood epilepsy. It was held in a really smart venue in central Edinburgh. The last time I was there is sold good beer. Tonight there was champagne, canapes and celebs. There was a persistent photographer - we are not photogenic! It was a very nice party, but very different from the book launch in almost every way.

I suspect neither event is me really. We had fish and chips for supper and felt better.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Hi, came to your blog via at the mill. Get that, totally. Was ill recently and felt very much as if I was about to "go over the top" and might disgrace myself.
Also responded to your fish and chip tea. We did that today.

Anonymous said...

Sounds fascinating. My eyes opened wide when you mentioned epilepsy being one myself. Throw caution to the wind and get yourself a painting!

Fish & Chips. Best ones around here are in Belford.

Crystal xx

@themill said...

V&C - my favourite shop in Edinburgh. I could stand and stare all day. Not many smart book launches in these parts.........