Sunday 6 May 2007

Spring Days Out

The first blog I ever read was Wife in the North. I read about it in the paper and was initially attracted to it on grounds of geography - we have a small house in North Northumberland to which we make "occasional visits". I enjoy the writing and the humour and admire the brave decision to uproot and move to that part of the world on a permanent basis. It seems to have inspired an outbreak of blogging in the area - Mutterings and Meanderings; Mutterings from the Mill; Famous for all kinds of Wickedness. We have been in Northumberland this week-end (albeit briefly) and its beaches and countryside always ease my essentially fractious nature. Not even the relative busyness of the beach this bank holiday week-end Sunday morning could set back the feeling of better-will it always inspires in me. Hence...

I like the feeling of sitting in a warm car with the heater on after a cold afternoon in the fresh air; I like cheerful outdoor crowds eating, drinking and chatting with their friends. We have a number of regular spring time fixtures which, while not religiously penned in our diary, we tend to make more often than not - odd days fishing; various Point to Points, Melrose 7s. Today on the way home we went to the Lauderdale Point to Point - it wasn't' warm but the sun shone (most of the time); the wind blew across the hillside; and people met each other, chatted, scooped a drink or two and had a bet. I got back in my car, turned the heater on, felt my cheeks start to glow and cheered up.

2 comments:

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

Hello, thank you for the link but I feel complelled to point out that those Northumbrian bloggers you have named are not WITN copyists...

The Grocer has been blogging almost as long - and certainly before WITN's publicity, @themill is part of a blogging group/collective, and me - well, let us say that I haven't aways been impressed with the grim picture that other bloggers have painted of the place I live, and love.

Good to see another p2p fan.

occasional northerner said...

Sorry - hadn't meant to suggest that you were WITN copyists but, on looking again, can see how I might have done! I will not ever paint anything but a fantastic picture of the place you live and love.