Sunday 27 January 2008

Windy Golf

I have spent the last two or three weeks rushing around at work. It is often like that. When it is, it is nice just to veg at week-ends. This week-end however, in the midst of this rushing around, we have rushed around. We drove to Northumberland first thing yesterday morning; we were back here by 3.30.

I got up this morning at 7.00 and drove back again to golf. I can't get too excited about golf and the "good walk spoiled" tag in many ways hits home. However I spent a number of my childhood years on the north east coast of Scotland where everyone golfed and, during those years, I golfed every day when I was at home. As a consequence of that you'd think I'd have some residual competence. I do not. Rugby intervened between 15 and 30, and it was only when my wife started to play (golf, not rugby!) that I picked a club up again.

Today I played very badly - I need to play every day for a week to go about the game competently at all and so I rarely play well before Easter. It was however a fantastic day - the sky was clear, the sun was out, it was dry all day for the first time in ages and the wind, which blew hard throughout our round, provided at least some excuse for my poor display. When I was 13 how I played mattered; I enjoy it so much more now it doesn't.

5 comments:

@themill said...

As a sports junkie the only two sports I can't watch are golf and boxing. I walk over the golf course here almost everyday and I think, 'What IS the attraction?' I still haven't figured it out!
Ah, the 6 nations - more chance of glory there than with my feckless football team......

@themill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
@themill said...

Sorry, that was me. My comment posted twice for some reason.

Anonymous said...

We've been playing golf on Wii recently, even harder than the real thing!

Crystal xx

John said...

Thanks for the web site tip.

My (very athletic) counsin's daughter's boyfriend has developed the knack of using Wii sitting down and flicking his wrist. Its much more effective for him than the full swing.