Monday 20 August 2007

Plain consumption

I don't think I am extravagant. I hate shopping and swore a couple of years ago not to buy anything material that wasn't either (or preferably both) second hand or capable of lasting for at least my lifetime and preferably some of the next generation's. This seems to be an expensive approach to retail and I don't always manage it - it is not a shopping philosophy which for example lends itself to the acquisition of boxer shorts.

I am however susceptible to pictures. I bought a Northumberland seascape on holiday which now hangs here to remind me where I would rather be and, a week or two ago, succumbed to a picture of fox hounds with which (even although I don't yet have my hands on it) I am absurdly pleased. I have told myself repeatedly ever since that this is the last picture I will buy. I need no more pictures. I am going instead to buy a sensible, grown up house in which to put them. I appreciate that with houses come walls and, with walls, come pictures, but I will resist (and indeed be too skint to do otherwise!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

House prices around here will certainly leave you skint! I have many Northumberland pictures, mainly of beautiful Bamburgh Castle where I got married.

Crystal xx

@themill said...

I take the same approach with cashmere - at least that's what I tell the Farmer.
If I had a website I could've sold you one of my pictures - or even a straw bale coffee table. Truly fabulous and would look a dream in any Edinburgh house!